Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tricked by the nutrition label

The other day my husband brought us home a box of blueberry muffins. A nice gesture - a treat to enjoy with a cup of tea. Before I even opened the box I decided to eat just 1/2 of a muffin. A quick glance at the nutrition label nearly convinced me to eat the entire muffin. Only 200 calories in a serving - really? Upon further inspection I read that a serving size was one third of a muffin. Come on, who eats 1/3 of a muffin?

OK.....I
f one muffin is 3 servings, and each serving is 200 calories, that's 600 calories in your morning muffin.
Do you read the fine print and do the math? Or do you just glance at the nutrition label and look at the calories?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how big was each muffin? I just made blueberry corn muffins from scratch the other day, and according to my online research, one of those actually would run somewhere around 200 calories. What a difference! Either the commercially prepared ones must be a lot bigger, or they must be packing a lot more butter and sugar into each muffin.

    ReplyDelete